Nearly a third of southern Sierra forests killed by drought and wildfire in last decade A major wildfire that started in the Sierra Nevada in October 2015, ravaged about 1.3 million acres of forest and triggered a yearlong drought, killing more than 1,600 people, officials said today. The Camp Fire, as it’s called, was the third largest wildfire in state history and one of the costliest in California history. By June 2018, when the blaze was contained, it caused more than $6 billion in property damage and destroyed more than 6,600 structures.
Satellite images show areas of the Los Padres National Forest burned nearly two weeks ago
The campfire that sparked the wildfire had a history of burning in an area of the national forest that had already been affected by drought and wildfire.
The two-month-old fire grew to more than 30,000 acres in the first 24 hours, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. It’s the first time the U.S. Forest Service has made an official count since the fire started.
The fire began around 1:30 a.m. and quickly spread to burn 2,600 acres by the afternoon. It was reported out near the town of Sisson on Oct. 8 and then grew to about 10 percent of the national forest in the next two weeks.
“By the time it got to the town of Sisson, it was very dangerous,” said Jim Harter, a ranger with Cal Fire.
The campfire is now only 20% contained, but officials say it’s been contained for the most part.
Satellite images from the International Space Station show areas of the Los Padres National Forest burned two weeks ago.
Los Angeles Times Staff Photographer Stephanie Chang contributed to this report.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Firefighters from across Southern California battled a fast-moving blaze on a steep mountain ridge this week near the town of Sisson, Calif., that killed six firefighters and left about 100 homes damaged or destroyed.
“I have a daughter at USC and she’s gone to school to the West Coast, and